Read more about the benefits of Theatre Class
- Being on stage builds confidence. Speaking in front of people is a huge fear for some people, no matter their age, but what better way to get over stage fright than a class dedicated to being in front of a crowd?
- Classes can teach you how to work well in a group. Being in a theatre class is like being part of a community – you have to work together in order to be successful.
- Theater involves taking responsibilities, solving problems creatively, and accepting team challenges. Theatre cultivates creativity. Theatre gives you a chance to be someone else and live in a different space and time.
- Theatre helps develop tangible skills. While taking classes you improve in skills such as voice, movement, painting, sewing, design, makeup, set design, hair and so much more.
- Acting helps relieve stress. School and work can be stressful at times, but theatre can help you release that tension. Some acting exercises require you to tap into your real-life emotions so you can use any stress about upcoming tests or tasks put it into your character.
- Students learn improvisation. The thing about theatre is anything can happen at any time. While you are on stage performing a scene, you may forget your line and have to ad-lib. Theater helps you think of solutions on the fly, which might be useful during a school talk, or job interview.
- You will learn projection. In theatre, projecting your voice is a must and breathing from your stomach is essential. Projecting helps with the volume of your voice and it comes in hand when you have to give a presentation or need to speak in a large room.
At the Jonesborough Repertory Theatre, you will make new friends! Taking a class gives you a chance to meet new people from different walks of life. You will meet new people from different walks of life that you will keep in touch with forever.
The Jonesborough Repertory Theatre
The Jonesborough Repertory Theater offers a great selection of classes including, Musical Theatre, Voice, Sign Language, Ballroom Dancing, Lighting Design, Stage Combat, Directing, and Makeup Basics. Theatre faculty are called to share the gifts of theatre with the community and love seeing the confidence and joy it brings to children and adults alike. As a community organization, the theater depends on constant learning to enable the company of volunteers to rise to the high standards of entertainment to which they aspire. Many of the theater’s participants began involvement at JRT with little to no theatre experience, and some of their brightest emerging actors have come up through the youth theatre classes.
Please find the JRT’s current list of classes: JonesboroughTheatre.com/Education
The Jonesborough Repertory Theatre offers a great selection of theatre classes for children, youth, and adults.
NEW! Shadow Puppet Theater
Students will learn a traditional folk tale such as the Appalachian Jack Tales, be guided in telling that tale through narration and puppetry, and rehearse individually and with the group. Students will work toward a performance that includes the entire class. Students may create shadow puppet characters and learn skills in literacy, storytelling, art, and technology.
Help your community by fulfilling McKinney Center's mission.
ABOUT THE MCKINNEY CENTER
The McKinney Center at Booker T. Washington School is a multi-use facility providing arts education through Jonesborough's Mary B. Martin Program.